The Buttercross

The High Cross. Also known as the City or Butter Cross. Dated as early the 15th Century the monument was restored by G. G. Scott in 1865. It is described as a tall many-pinnacled cross on a stepped plinth with five octagonal steps. It was once used by countrymen to sell produce, hence the name Butter Cross.

source: www.cityofwinchester.co.uk

www.visitwinchester.co.uk